As the specific causes of the different types of arthritis remains unclear, it is difficult to say what may assist in arthritis development and prevention. However, listed below are a few steps which may be beneficial in reducing the effects of arthritis.
- Maintain appropriate weight. Excess bodyweight increases the stress on joints, especially weight-bearing joints such as the knee and hips.
- Protect joints from injuries and overuse.
- Regularly exercise to maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints.
- Regular Chiropractic care is of benefit too, ensuring optimal spinal and joint range of movement and flexibility.
- Hydrate your body. Water makes up 70 percent of the cartilage in joints and plays a major role in the lubrication and shock absorbing properties of healthy joints.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. This will help to maintain general good health.
- Avoid crash dieting or fasting.
- Increase dietary calcium to reduce the risk of osteoporosis in later life.
- Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids.
- Sports and recreational activities are important for children with arthritis, to help them develop confidence in their physical abilities.
- They should be encouraged to pick a sport or activity of interest, while parents, GPs and Chiropractors provide guidance on maximum joint protection.
- Activities that exercise joints and muscles without putting too much stress on them, like swimming, should be encouraged.
Protecting your joints and soft tissue (muscles, ligaments, tendons etc) from overuse is really important. Our medically patented soft tissue treatment, Active Release Techniques is the only therapy available to treat the root cause of overuse injuries. Chiropractic care also has a large part to play in the overall management of arthritis.
Please call your Chiropractor or Active Release Provider at Active Muscle & Spine on (02) 8964 6887. Alternatively, visit our leading Sydney city musculoskeletal clinic at Level 7, 300 George Street (opposite Wynyard station) for more information.